4-Day trekking Adventure, Muang Khong Valley
Ethnic Hill Tribe Eco Trails - 4 days
- 4-Day trekking Adventure, Muang Khong Valley
- 4 days / 3 nights
- Max. group: 10 Persons
- Difficulty: Medium
Overview> Go bamboo rafting and do some fishing along the way
> Spend a night at a Treehouse Homestay
> Get to know the local culture and try traditional dishes!
On this 4-day trek, you will be able to get to know the Karen Hill Tribes and get to know their way of life and customs. During this trek, you will not only be hiking through the rainforest, but you will also be doing bamboo rafting along the Mae Tang river. Along the way you will visit different Hill tribes, you will walk within caves and you will try traditional Thai dishes prepared by your hosts and guide. Spend the night at a Treehouse Homestay, get deep into the jungle, and discover the hidden Thai culture!
RouteWhat's the plan?
- We will pick you up between 7.30 - 8.00 am from your hotel and we will drive for 2 hours to the Pha Daeng National Park. We will stop at the local market to get supplies along the way.
- We will start the 20 minutes hike to a small waterfall. It is possible to swim at this waterfall.
- Then we will hike through the rainforest jungle along the side of the mountain.
- We will hike approximately 4 to 5 hours, stopping for lunch along the trail.
- Arrival at Mae Mae village, where you will be sleeping in the treehouse homestay.
- Enjoy local dinner and watch the traditional dance from the local children, who come to perform some nights (Saturdays and Sundays).
- Today we will wake up, have breakfast and after breakfast, we will depart.
- We will depart for Muang Khong Village. The drive will take approximately 2 and a half hours over the mountain to Muang Khong valley. We will have one stop at a high point to see the beautiful view in the Lisu Village.
- Once we arrive in Muang Khong we will have lunch and then drive to the starting point of the 30 min to 1-hour walk (depending on the speed in which you walk) to the cave in the national park.
- We will hike 2 and a half hours through the cave, this cave is very large, there are no narrow alleys but there is some climbing up and over. The cave hike is from one end to the other end. This a very beautiful experience.
- Once we have completed the cave, we will walk 1 and a half hours back to the car and we will then head to our homestay in Muang Khong for the evening. Here you can relax and enjoy the beauty of muang Khong, and have dinner cooked by your hosts.
- Wake up and enjoy breakfast
- Depart from the village, by bamboo rafting in a gentle river down to a Karen village, for about 6-8 hours. We will stop for lunch along the river and prepare lunch, which will consist of noodles and fruit. We will be using bamboo to cook the noodles. The bamboo rafting along the Mae Tang river is very beautiful, we will also do some fishing along the way.
- Arrive at Bann Phakowlham, the Karen hill tribe village. Here we will stay overnight within a family's home in the middle of the rainforest, and you will experience the real, authentic rural life in the hill-tribe village.
- In the evening you will help to prepare dinner with your guide, cooking delicious Thai food.
- After breakfast, we will depart again by bamboo rafting, arriving in Sophkai village.
- We will then have a delicious local lunch at a local restaurant and then head back to Chiang Mai.
It is also possible to trek the last day. However, it will be a medium to difficult 6-hour trek.
All private transport required during the trek is included. On the first day, your trekking company will pick you up from your hotel in Chiang Mai and drive you to Pha Daeng National Park. At the end of the trek, you will be taken back to Chiang Mai.
√ Professional guide
You will be accompanied at all times by a professional English speaking guide.
Lunch, dinner, and breakfast are included in the price of the trek. During the trek, your homestay hosts and guide will take care of preparing the meals. You are welcome to help them and learn how to cook traditional Thai dishes!
On this trek, you will spend one night sleeping at a treehouse homestay and at family houses. Necessary bedding, blankets, etc will be provided.
During the trek, you will visit a waterfall, walk within a cave and do bamboo rafting. These activities are included in the price of the trek.
Water is included on the first day of the trek (2 liters per person). During the remaining days of the trek, you can purchase water in the villages along the way.
√ Park fees
In order to access Chiang dao wildlife sanctuary, you need to pay an entrance fee. This fee is included in the price of the trek.
You have to make your way to Chiang Mai. The total amount is exclusive of flights to and from Thailand.
× Accommodation before and after the trek
Before and after the trek you have to take care of your own accommodation.
× Travel Insurance
Your international travel insurance is your own responsibility. Discuss your itinerary with the insurance company before your trek.
× Extra snacks and drinks
Your trekking company will provide lunch, dinner and breakfast, as well as water during the trek. If you want some extra snacks or drinks during the hike, these are on your own account. Extra water and alcoholic drinks are also excluded.
Tipps for the guide are not included in the price of the trek. You decide how much to tip, but if you got a good service from your guide, be generous.
On this trek, you will spend one night sleeping at a quite beautiful lodge/homestay called "the treehouse hideaway" in a local village in the rainforest called Mae Mae Village. The lodge is a well-equipped treehouse in the rainforest with proper rooms and beds, electricity, bathrooms and dinner and breakfast is catered by the homestay owners. On Saturday and Sunday evenings the kids from the local village come to dance and sing for the guests staying at the treehouse. Necessary bedding, blankets, etc will be provided.
You will spend the 2 remaining nights at a family's house. Our homestay gives you a chance to stay in host families' homes in the villages in the mountains, and enjoy rustic rural living like the locals. The host family ensures guests sleeping beds are made and ready and can choose themselves how much interaction they would like. The accommodation is very basic in a traditional teak wood house. We provide bedding, including basic floor mattress, blanket, pillows and mosquito net. You will spend the night in a dorm-style room. Basic bathroom facilities are available.
How hard are the trails?
The trails on Chiang Dao wildlife sanctuary are not hard, nor are the treks in Muang Khong Valley. Always bear in mind that you will be trekking for several hours and that the trails are on a mountain, which means that there will be up and downs. If you are in good shape, this trek shouldn't be a problem for you. However, if you are worried that it might be too much, you can always train in advance, walking a few hours a day and climbing some stairs.
Karen Hilltribe Communities
The Karen Hill Tribes are the largest ethnic minority group in Thailand. These tribes live in mountain villages in northern Thailand and practice agriculture. The indigenous Karen people of Thailand are Thai citizens even though they speak a different language and their culture differs from Thai Culture in some ways. They still can speak Thai and have Thai ID’s. Chiang Dao is home to the largest population of ethnic minorities “hilltribe villages” in Thailand.
The best season to visit Chiang Dao is during the cool season, with cool days and cold nights. In rainy season we are not fast to recommend Chiang Dao treks (July to September) since if there are many days with heavy rain it is not safe to trek the area. During the rainy season, the region is prone to landslides. The best season to trek in Chiang Dao National Park/Pha Daeng National Park is during the hot and cool season, from October to June. It is possible to trek in the rainy season but we have to check the rainfall rates.
Tipping is 100% common in Thailand, it is 100% expected. If you got a good service from your guide and you want to thank him, it will always be much appreciated. How much to tip your guide is up to you. If you had a good time, 300 Baht/USD 10 for a full-day tour is a good tip.
Packing ListPacking List
Although this trek in Pha Daeng National Park and Muang Khong Valley is not a hard trek, it is always important to have the right equipment with you. Thay way, you can just enjoy the trek without any unpleasant surprises. If you are planning on doing this trek, Ethnic Hill Tribe Eco Trails has some recommendations for you:
- Short pants
- Long pants
- T – Shirt
- Swimming suit
- Hat ( Summer: December – May)
- Flash light
- Toilet paper/tissue
- Insect spray
- Sun cream
- Personal medicine
- Soap, shampoo, toothbrush
Safety is of the utmost importance to us. That is why this is an area in which we simply do not compromise when it comes to keeping the cost of our trekkings low. Our guides have been selected on the basis of their technical competence, proven safety performance, impeccable judgment, friendly attitude and ability to provide useful and expert instructions. Our Karen guides have a deep knowledge of the rainforest and how to live in the mountains. Join us to completely immerse yourself and hike in the beauty of northern Thailand.
Ethnic Hill Tribe Eco TrailsEthnic Hill Tribe Eco Trails
Hi, we're Mit and Kischa, the founders of Ethnic Hilltribe Eco Trails. We met and fell in love on a jungle trek in Chiang Mai, and we started this company with a dream. We love our home, and want to give people a chance to experience real, authentic hiking trails, visit hilltribe villages, and experience the culture of northern Thailand hilltribes in the same intimate and personal way that we do.
Beyond leading off-the-beaten path journeys, we're also passionate about sustainable tourism. We've seen first-hand how education and training can lift, not just families, but entire villages out of poverty, and we're committed to providing tourism support and opportunities to our guides and partners. Let us introduce you to our hilltribe family and friends and show you the beauty of northern Thailand's hills and rainforests.
How to Book
How does it work?
On Bookatrekking.com you can find and compare the adventures of your dreams. Is this trekking adventure your match? In that case you can proceed to booking. At Bookatrekking.com you make a deposit of 15% of the total amount. You pay the remaining amount on location prior to the trek directly to the trekking company.
Bookatrekking.com uses only the safest payment methods. Once your booking has been received, your place is reserved, your place is safe and you can look forward to your chosen trekking.
After you have made your booking, you will receive an e-mail confirmation with all necessary information and the contact details of the trekking company. If you have any questions or if you want to clarify something, you can obtain information directly from the right person. Of course, you can also always ask us your question. Send us an e-mail on firstname.lastname@example.org
The trekking company will also receive your details and can therefore always contact you and provide you with extra information.
You wish you didn’t have to, but there is no other way: You find yourself having to cancel your plans. In this case, you lose your deposit, but since you haven’t paid the large sum yet, you at least save that. Please do let us know if you cannot make it. A no-show can be a small disaster for your trekking provider, who did its best to block your dates. View our complete cancellation policy here.
More like this
Chiang Dao TrekOperated By Ethnic Hill Tribe Eco Trails
Experience a completely off the beaten track hiking trail in one of Northern Thailand's most beautiful National Parks, Pha Daeng National...
2-Day Doi Inthanon Hilltribe TrailOperated By Ethnic Hill Tribe Eco Trails
On our 2 day trek, we will hike 4 hours along a non-touristic trail through the rainforest. Sleep in a Karen Hilltribe village and get to...
Thai Mountain Eco TrekOperated By Thai Eco Trek Adventure
During this trek, you will trek through the lush evergreen jungle and breathe fresh crisp air. Trek up to Thajeko mountain, enjoy...
Doi Inthanon National Park trek with Farm StayOperated By Ethnic Hill Tribe Eco Trails
On this 2-day trek, you will sleep in the Churkee Farm stay on the rice fields of a Karen Hilltribe Village. This is a farm stay that Ethnic...
Pha Daeng National Park, 2-day Chiang Dao trekOperated By Ethnic Hill Tribe Eco Trails
Enjoy a beautiful jungle trekking in Pha Daeng National Park in Chiang Dao. During this trek, you will be hiking 4 to 5 hours through the...
Thai Mountain Life Eco TrekOperated By Thai Eco Trek Adventure
On this trek, you will have more time trekking and to immerse yourself with nature. We will follow 2 different trails up to the peaks of...